Keto diet is a diet in which you increase your fat intake and completely reduce the intake of carbohydrates. It is known to be similar to the Atkins diet. The reduction in your carbs intake and increased fat intake leads to a state of metabolism known as ketosis.
There are many versions and types of a keto diet. You can go for the standard keto diet which involves a 75 percent fat intake, a 20 percent intake of proteins and a 5 percent carbs-intake. There are other types of keto diets like the cyclical keto diet, high protein keto diet and targeted keto diet, as well.
As a part of this diet, you need to avoid consuming certain foods and instead increase the intake of some other types of foods. Grains and high-starch content foods like rice, wheat-based products, and processed foods are some of the foods that you must avoid eating when following a keto diet. As a part of the keto diet, you can consume foods such as red meat, fatty fish, bacon, chicken, turkey, and cheese.
A keto diet helps you lose weight and has various other health benefits.
Benefits of Keto diet
- The keto diet is one of the best ways of losing weight. This diet keeps you satiated at all times and allows you to lose weight without having to count your calories or keep a watch on what you eat. In fact, some studies have shown that you are likely to lose about twice the amount of weight if you follow the keto diet than if you follow the calorie-restricted low-fat diet.
- Keto diet is good for diabetes patients. By reducing your carbs consumption, you can control the sugar levels in your blood and also lessen your sensitivity to insulin by about 75 percent. Since type 2 diabetes is linked with weight gain, a ketogenic diet is particularly beneficial.
- It is also known to be helpful in keeping your blood pressure at bay. High blood pressure can turn out to be dangerous for your health. It can lead to heart problems and diseases and also make you vulnerable to having a heart stroke. By following a ketogenic diet, you can maintain your blood pressure and avoid the risk of having such heart problems.
- Keto diet is known to be good for brain health as well. For epileptic children who do not respond to medications, the keto diet has been used as a treatment method. It is now being studied as a treatment option for Alzheimers and Parkinsons, as well.
- It helps cut down the bad LDL levels of cholesterol. A low-carb diet is helpful in keeping cholesterol levels well under control and thus preventing any heart problems.
- Keto diet has also been found to be effective in checking the levels of triglycerides in your blood. High levels of triglycerides in your blood are a risk factor that could lead to major heart diseases. By cutting down on the levels of triglycerides, the low-carb, keto diet keeps heart diseases at bay.